Friday, January 22, 2016

Day 1 Wow! I'm in Israel Friday January 22, 2016: Tel Aviv - Jaffa

Shalom!  I'm here!





(from my hotel balcony in Jaffa)
The Boeing 787 left the ground at Toronto International at 5:54 pm and I arrived 10 hours later in Tel Aviv - Jaffa at 10:54 am.  It was a long flight and I was unable to sleep.  After clearing customs and joining up with my Promise Keepers tour group we departed from the Ben Gurion airport and made our way to Jaffa.  The bus is a large modern coach (with on board Wifi) and with only 22 people on the tour there was lots of room to spread out and get a window view.
   
Temperature is 18 degrees and sunny! Our Israeli guide is Shimon who is well versed, knowledgeable and entertaining.  Not a dull moment because even off the bus we all have a headset receiver and we can clearly hear all that Shimon is explaining.  It’s great for me because of my hearing impairment and makes it all the more interesting because I can hear all that is being said. I’m carrying a small journal and I try to make as many notes as I can.

Now Jaffa is all one city with Tel Aviv. It’s a very modern big city and heavy traffic.  Cars are small and plenty of  motor bikes. You cannot tell where one starts and the other ends.   In the scriptures it’s referred to as Joppa.  Now Joppa is the southern, oldest part of Tel Aviv-Jaffa, an ancient port city in Israel.  Jaffa is famous for its association with the biblical stories of Johah, Solomon and Peter.




our first meal together at the Dan Panorama hotel in Tel Aviv - Jaffa
My post today is short because of my exhaustion but I have included several pictures from Jaffa which is right along the coast overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. Thank you for following my blog.  Blessings.