Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Loss of a Friend

I was privileged to preach at the funeral of a friend and fellow servant in ministry this week. It was probably the largest funeral I’ve ever been involved in to which my friend would have been impressed to know that so many cared! It was a great funeral!

However I’m finding myself very low and sad. My sense is, that I’m mourning the loss of someone that was very much a part of my life. He was part of the Search Committee that brought me to Rymal Road Church more than 15 years ago. Over that time he has supported and encouraged me through many difficult situations that Pastoral ministry often brings. Although we had our differences at times, once a decision was made, he would stand behind it. Over the years we had together in ministry there were only two times I had to approach him and reprove him on some point. Each time we were able to discuss and clear the issue respectfully with never a hint of any animosity. This always spoke volumes to me for this has not always been the case when I have had to reprove leaders in ministry (which is a difficult thing to do). My friend was a solid Christian, a deep thinker and wise in making leadership decisions. He always brought to the table a respect and clear thinking on the issues being considered. We will all miss his influence and support!

As I deal with my own loss; I’m also trying to comprehend the loss for the family and the congregation as a whole. Who can understand? But my faith and the scriptures tell me plainly that God is in control and He knows and sympathizes in our loss. Our hope and all of life is totally in his hands and we must trust Him! The scripture that comes to mind is “Be still and know that I am God”. Therefore I will be still and in the quietness of that stillness I hear God’s whisper….. “I am with you!”

Thank You Lord for allowing me to have such a good friend and supporter. I miss him!