Monday, December 12, 2016

INTEGRITY


Integrity is deciding to integrate my heart’s values into my daily actions.
________________________________________________________________________

Integrity comes from the word "integrate."  The feeling that you get when you know what you're doing is right, that's integrity.  The key word  is "deciding".  You don't slip into integrity.  Nobody ever said, "Oops, I fell into integrity."  It's something you have to decide on in life. 

It's important in THAT God placed a very high value on integrity.  Proverbs 28:6  "Better is the poor who walks in his integrity, than he who is crooked though he be rich."  God says integrity is a lot more valuable than all the stuff I think is valuable.

However, the problem many of us have with integrity is what is called the "the frustration gap".  That is the gap between my heart's values and my daily actions.  When they don’t match it causes us a frustration in our lives.

We are not alone in this struggle for the Apostle Paul points out about his own life in Romans 7:18-20 (NKJV) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
How can we improve our integrity?  Here are four practical things that we can do:

1.  Speak Honestly.  Mark Twain said one time that speaking honestly is better in our lives, it takes a lot of stress out of our lives.  He said "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."  As you speak honestly let's do it in the way the Bible says to do it.  Eph. 4:15 "Speak the truth in a spirit of love".  

Some people speak the truth in a relationship in a way that destroys the relationship rather than building the relationship.  Some people don't tell the truth they launch the truth -- a guided missile into your life.  Sort of Clint Eastwood kind of truth tellers, they pull it out like a 44 Magnum and blow you away with it then they walk away feeling great about themselves and you're laying on the floor destroyed.  "I told the truth" they say, but not the truth in the spirit of love.

2.  Confess Regularly.  We do this when we admit that we are wrong.  When you're wrong admit it.  Admit it to the people you're in relationship with.  James talks about doing that.  James 5:16 "Admit your faults to one another and pray for each other."  Isn't telling our faults to God enough?  Do we have to ask for other's permission to be forgiven too? No, because God is the one who forgives us.  But in order to restore our relationship with them, we need to talk to them about what happened. 

This involves a principle in forgiveness that's called restitution.  Usually the first thing you think of is financial restitution.  If I've taken money or possessions from them and I recognize that I've been wrong, then I need to go back and not only ask for God's forgiveness but I also need to give back what was taken.  You don't get to keep the money. Relational restitutions works the same way.  You need to do your best at giving back to the person what you have taken.  If you were harsh; you need to give them kindness.  If it was anger; you need to return love.  You can only do this through time and conversation.

3.  Live Consistently.    The opposite of consistency is hypocrisy.  You may be able to hide hypocrisy at work or church but you can't hide it at home where people know you.  Living consistently is vital in our public image as compared to our private image.  How important really is your relationship with those people in your private life?  Who do you really want to be admired by at the end of life?  Our goals should be to be admired the most by those who are closest to us -  who know us best.

Secondly, consistency is vital in discipline and values. Have you ever had dealings with a yo-yo.... type of person?  Today they say this and tomorrow they say something completely different.  A lot of politicians fall into this category.  Their values are determined by the weather or the latest Gallop poll.  They are inconsistent with what they believe.  To either live or work with someone who changes their mind like the wind.... becomes an effort in futility! In parenting, to be consistent is a difficult thing.  But if you are, then your children will have stability.  A parent or a boss who behaves inconsistently only creates chaos in the lives of others!

Thirdly, consistency is vital between our words and actions.  Words are not what's important.  Words are not what's going to impact people.  Our actions and the way we behave is what changes  people's lives.  More is caught than it is taught!

I Samuel 16:7 "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 

That's what those who are closest to us see too.  Our heart, who we really are.  That's what impacts them and influences them.

So how is your life exemplifying integrity?

Read: Psalm 19:7-14  &  Romans 7:14-20