Monday, July 08, 2013

Call Me Opa!

I’m waiting for my fifth grandchild to be born any day now! The four girls that I already have are each special and unique. It’s amazing to watch the circle of life happening in your own family. Just like the other day, or so it seems, that I was in the delivery room holding my first child. Now I see him holding his own. I also see the burden of responsibility weighing down.  I remember it well myself. The miracle of a new life that I now have responsibility for caring and raising. Yes, my dear wife was a great help and carried much of the load but underneath I felt a new weight in my life. But it was a good weight. It became a wonderful weight. As the years rolled along, there were challenging times when dealing with all the issues of child rearing. Looking back now I can see that they were wonderful years that stretched me and changed me.


I found a text that has come to a new meaning for me now. I know that I’ve read it before but scripture can mean different things to people at different times in their lives. Here is the text: Proverbs 17:6 (NLT) Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children. To see the next generation is a sense of accomplishment that life goes on. I am a part of my parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc….. A part of them has been passed on to me and through me to the generations to follow. That is just awesome to think about! The Psalmist said that Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him (Psalms 127:3 (NLT)). Life is a gift! I thank my God for the gift of my children and now also my children’s children! You can call me Opa.